Saturday, August 8, 2009

Saturday Evening Thoughts

Today yet another Calvinist tried to convert me on facebook (a really amateur one, who didn't even understand the orthodox Protestant theology, but was basically just a disciple of R.C. Sproul) and I felt the same normal annoyance. Yesterday night our family was out for dinner and I was told I wasn't allowed to mention religion as i would 'ruin' the evening. I mentioned politics and came close enough to doing so anyway.

People really hate me, alot. Almost every Calvinist I know, every arch-conservative/American Republican (I'm a conservative in Canada, which makes me a centrist in the states), and every optimist.

I have an incredibly easy life, and I have suffered little in it, but I was just getting annoyed with life today. I just want to live in Quebec or Rome or something, just somewhere where I can be Catholic without having to constantly listen to hellfire condemnations from Prots and just live happily.

The Anglicans and the Lutherans can be so sophisticated when dealing with us Romans, why can't the Reformed (Excluding Jared and Matt) grow up like them?

Philip Yancey wrote something I found interesting the other day. The verb "to Oppress" in English (according to Yancey - I couldn't find this onlin) comes from an English practice where Catholics were placed under a board and then heavy rocks were placed on top of the board, squishing them gradually until they died or recanted. I guess I have it pretty easy compared to my Anglo-Saxon Catholic ancestors in the faith.

I've been thinking about what Pelikan says about the B.V.M. being Mediatrix in medieval Catholic theology and how disgusted he 'sounds' when he writes. But then I realized, 'hey that's the default, that's what the church universally agreed upon, why should I feel bad for believing the consensus of the church?'

Once again I'm reading Tolkien, and a bit of Chesterton, and planning where I'll go to mass tomorrow.

And I don't care about fighting with anyone, I just want everyone to leave the reprobate Catholic alone, and for God to send me some Roman brothers in the faith...but I'm he most likely won't and I'll be writing similar blog posts for annoyed Protestant friends in a year from now.

st. mary star of the sea, pray for me, I entrust myself to your maternal care this evening, may your holiness be an example to me, and may I be reminded of the sufficiency of God's grace.

3 comments:

  1. Hello Andrew,

    I helped a class at Twin Oaks Presbyterian Church church think through this question recently: Is Roman Catholicism Christian?

    I taught that Roman Catholicism, according to its dogma, has Christian elements (like the Mormon religion or Jehovah's Witnesses) but is fundamentally anti-Christian due to its understanding of the mediation of redemptive grace. I taught that the it was possible for a true believer to be a member of the Roman Catholic institution (being still a member of the invisible church). But since we Presbyterians understand that membership in the visible church is so important to one's well-being as a Christian, I also taught that we should love those incorporated into Roman Catholicism by helping them see the error of their dogma and helping them find a local expression of the visible church to join. Of course, the restoration of a brother who has slipped into this sort of sin due to momentary negligience or ignorance should always be accompanied by a gentle spirit (Gal. 6:1-5). But if the issue is abject rejection of the truth of the gospel accompanied by the proclamation of a false gospel among the true church, then harsher measures might be in order (Gal. 1:6-9).

    I'm not certain where you might be on that spectrum, having only your blog to go on. But given a lack of information, I believe one should always make gentleness his default. My apologies if I've failed in that respect during any of our correspondences. I ask your forgiveness. Gentleness happens to be an aspect of the fruit of the Spirt that God has been focusing my attention on quite often lately. In fact, I'm preparing a sermon on it now.

    May the Father of all who call on the name of the Lord Jesus Christ bless you.

    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at the spot in the spectrum of believing what you deem the anti-christ (papacy) is God's teaching instrument on earth incapable of erring on matters of faith and morals when speaking ex cathedra.

    So... ya.

    I guess that puts me in the spot of "abject rejection of the truth of the gospel accompanied by the proclamation of a false gospel" (or it puts you there, but I wouldn't make such a judgment on you, as our Lord told us that with the measure we mete out to others, so it will be measured against you. I would say that Presbyterianism is a sincere miscalculation of the truth of God, but that it is essentially a Christian faith).

    Anyway, it was another Reformed Christian who was condemning me on that particular day I mentioned in the post. I think you've already condemned me in no uncertain terms and so I know where we both stand. Thanks for reading, God's richest blessings,

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think life is often harder than we may accept because we havent faced certain issues. But in reality, I believe you've struggled through a hard life... I think your parents dont understand you, your church leaders dont udnerstand you, a lot of your friends dont understand you and in the end, when your heart and mind are at rest in Christ through the Roman church, their misunderstanding is heated and turns into an oppressive reaction.
    That sir, is not easy.

    You have the wits to defend yourself against scholars (shit, you are one!). Just understand and remember you have freinds that do understand, that do care, other christians who have experienced what you have experienced and in all honesty, there are people at your side ready to defend you choices.
    So as difficult as your religious transition may be, remember you have the wisdom and knowledge to defend and continue down your path, and that you do not walk it alone.

    -lance
    Peace brother.

    ReplyDelete