Monday, August 17, 2009

Peter Kreeft and Jansenism

In thinking about Peter Kreeft, a convert (50 years ago this year), who is considered by some to be the best Catholic philosopher in America (I read that somewhere but it sounds dubious), I come to questions of his orthodoxy (Roman) and whether he is a secret Jansenist. Just reading this:

http://www.ignatiusinsight.com/features2008/print2008/kreeft_pascal_feb08.html

it seems like Kreeft is very much against calling Pascal a Jansenist, and seems to construct a Jansenist emphasis in soteriology while remaining faithful to the Magisterium of the Church. Being in a position where I refuse to contradict the teaching of the Church and wish to be a faithful Catholic, but also love St. Augustine, I find that Kreeft is a safe bet.

I know I always drone on about it, but I think theology is 90% emphasis. For example, Catholicism still teaches the doctrine of purgatory it taught in the middle ages, but now it is only 4 pages within the Catechism of the Catholic Church. Emphasis can change alot, and I like Kreeft's emphasis.

No comments:

Post a Comment