Friday, August 28, 2009

Feast of St. Augustine of Hippo

Happy Feast of St. Augustine. I went to two masses this morning and the one in english talked alot about him. I hadn't known that he fathered a child (according to the priest). I'll have to check that out to see if it's dubious. I hope more people are drawn to the teaching of the doctor of grace, he is a theologian who could bring unity to Western Christendom.

Here are some quotes I found of his today that I liked:

"There is no saint without a past, no sinner without a future."

"Christ is not valued at all, unless he is valued above all."

"Right is right even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it. "

"It is not that we keep His commandments first and that then He loves but that He loves us and then we keep His commandments. This is that grace which is revealed to the humble but hidden from the proud."



St. Augustine pray for the destruction of Pelagianism, Manicheeism, and Donatism in Christ's Church. Amen.

1 comment:

  1. I saw it was the feast of Augustine this morning reading my Lutheran Book of Daily Prayer. As John Paul II said, he is the father of us all (all Christian denominations). IOW everyone recognizes Augustine as a great church father. (or at least should)

    ReplyDelete