Thursday, August 20, 2009

An Affinity For The Rosary

"Death came through Eve, life through Mary." - St. Jerome (Letter 22.21)

I used to hate the rosary, but I've been praying it alot lately and really meditating on the mysteries in the life of Christ and Mary and gained some insights into things I've never really thought about before.

One of my Mennonite friends found out that I was Catholic now and said one of the things he admired about "us" was that we really thought about the life of Jesus by meditating on the mysteries of the rosary and that Christians don't do that enough

I always liked the Dominicans but never really St. Dominic ("inventor" of the Rosary), but I'm getting to like him more and more. Meditative prayer is really important, and I rarely go places now without my rosary. Who would've thought?

As you look at the glories of Mary you realize that they are the glories Christ has bestowed on her. It reminds me of the quote from Queen Elizabeth who said she enjoyed the crown and hoped Jesus would return in her lifetime so that she could lay the crown at his feet. This is the humility of the Blessed Virgin, that even though she is crowned, still calls upon Christ as her Redeemer, the author and perfecter of faith, who has bestowed upon her these honors.

In the Assumption and Coronation of Our Lady we see prefigured the future of all Christ's faithful, to assume into heaven and meet him in the sky when he comes, and to one day receive rewards for their merits (which are Christ's gracious work in them).

No comments:

Post a Comment