Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Saved by Christ

"She will bear a son, and you are to name him Jesus, for he will save his people from their sins." - The Gospel According to St. Matthew, Chapter 1, Verse 21

I was reading an old post on a Reformed blog (not deadtheologians) about Francis Beckwith a revert to Roman Catholicism and how the author was saying he could never be a Christian nor could anyone within the "Whore of Babylon". Now not only do I think that's ridiculous (though predictable - I really should stop reading those types of blogs), but if the Pope came up to me and said "Guttentalk, say there isn't a saved soul in the British Episcopal Methodist ecclesial community" I'd have ot say "Benny I have to disagree with you", there are saved souls in every church which preaches about Christ. In fact, anywhere the word of God is read (the bible), I believe that the Word of God (Jesus) is calling people to salvation.

This verse struck me again because it is fundamental to everything I believe. JESUS will save his people from their sins. Him. Not denominations. Not Martin Luther. Not the Pope. Not the Westminster Confession of Faith. Christ.

One of the things I personally love about the Roman Catholic Church is it's Christo-centrism. I believe that in the midst of every doctrine is the person, work, and teaching of Jesus Christ. While Protestants claim they champion this, and many do, I find them more concerned with extreme expressions of catholic doctrines (like justification by faith, focussing only on Romans, etc), than with simply bringing people into a communion of faith - the Anglicans do an amazing job at this as well.

Because in the end:

"Salvation is of the Lord" Jonah 2.9

1 comment:

  1. I agree, Luther, Protestantism, Calvin, Benny, RCC, etc. do not save. It truly is all of the Lord, and as a protestant, it is of faith not doctrine. I believe doctrine is very important, and to a degree fundamental, but we (IMO) are saved by faith in the risen Lord not our doctrine therein.

    Good post bro!

    ReplyDelete