Thursday, January 15, 2009

Today's Glimpse of Pop Culture and Religion

So today I turned on Daily Mass and heard this prayer:

"I asked God for strength that I might achieve.
I was made weak that I might learn humbly to obey.
I asked God for health that I might do greater things.
I was given infirmity that I might do better things.

I asked for riches that I might be happy.
I was given poverty that I might be wise.
I asked for power that I might have the praise for men.
I was given weakness that I might feel the need of God.

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life.
I was given life that I might enjoy all things.
I got nothing that I asked for
but everything that I hoped for. . .

Almost, despite myself,
My unspoken prayers were answered.
I am among all men most richly blessed."

I then turned on Sex and the City (I know I'm a sinner) and wrote down some of the lines pertaining to religion. It was the episode where Miranda dates a Catholic who showers every time they have sex.

“If I knew he was a Catholic I never would have dated him, they should make them wear a sign or something.” – Miranda
“Sure all religions are sweet till they get to that shower after sex phase” – Miranda
“’That Presbyterian Church is a really good Church’ – Charlotte, ‘What are you doing rating Churches now? Good bread, poor wine selection’ – Miranda”
“Lighten up this isn’t a Catholic Church it’s Presbyterian’ –Carrie. ‘Catholics, Episcopalians, Buddhists, Quakers, Shakers, all the same, all out to ruin our sex lives’ – Miranda”
‘Come on don’t lie you’re in a church’ – Carrie
'later that night in the church of disco...(some gay guy has a party in a church) to introduce his new boyfriend Milan' - Carrie
'Isn't this fun? It's like hell with a cover-charge' - Gay fashion guy
'I stayed up all night questioning my faith in faith' - Carrie

In the show Charlotte is an Episcopalian, Mr. Big and Miranda are Atheists, Carrie is an Agnostic, and Samantha is a whore (the rough equivalent to http://www.united-church.ca/). So luckily except for the most attractive one, they're all going to Hell...but then again Charlotte converted to Judaism in another episode, so they're probably all going to Hell.

An interesting mix of different influences that one sees in everyday Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment