Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A True Anglican - Richard Hooker Quote

After my last post, I found this quote which I really enjoy, it gives me peace about this whole thing. It is from Richard Hooker, pretty much a doctor of the Anglican Church, he was an extremely influential theologian, and was one of the only protestants in the reformation era who spoke well of Catholics. He wrote this about those who condemned Catholics for not believing in Sola Fide:

"God is no captious sophister, eager to trip us up whenever we say amiss, but a
courteous tutor, ready to amend what, in our weakness or our ignorance, we say
ill, and to make the most of what we say aright."


Hopefully it is true, I found it interesting that the contemporary Pope at the time of Hooker, said that his works would endure till the end of the age and spoke highly of him - or rather as highly as one could expect a Catholic to speak of a Protestant/Anglican.

No comments:

Post a Comment