Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Lead Kindly Light

As I've read more and more about Cardinal John Henry Newman, I realize I know very little about him, and that he is not as simple as I had imagined. But I read this story the other day about how he was away from England and was quite sick and had to be brought home, and how at the same time he was in this spiritual journey from Anglicanism to Catholicism, and so he wrote this beautiful hymn which is absolutely amazing no matter what your denomination is and I thought I'd post the lyrics.

Lead kindly light, amid the encircling gloom,
Lead though me onThe night is dark and I am far from home
Lead thou me on.
Keep thou my feet, I do not ask to see
The distant scene one step enough for me
I was not ever thus, nor prayed that thou
Should'st lead me on.
I loved to choose and see my path but now,
Lead Thou me on.
I loved the garish day, and spite of fears
Pride ruled my will, remember not past years
So long Thy powers has blest me,
Sure it still will lead me on.
O'er moon and fern, o'er crag and torrent, and till the night is gone,
And with the morn those angel faces smile.
Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile.

"I am the light of the world, whoever follows me will never walk in darkness but have the light of life" - John 8:12 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment