Sunday, May 4, 2008

Encouragement - Hymns & Aquinas

I feel blessed to have been raised in a loving and faithful Evangelical community and as I enter Catholicism, I find equally wonderful things which encourage me in the faith. So here are some notes of encouragement from both sides of Western Christendom.

He Giveth More Grace by: Annie Johnson Flynt
He giveth more grace as our burdens grow greater,
He sendeth more strength as our labors increase;
To added afflictions He addeth His mercy,
To multiplied trials He multiplies peace.
When we have exhausted our store of endurance,
When our strength has failed ere the day is half done,
When we reach the end of our hoarded resources
Our Father’s full giving is only begun.
His love has no limits, His grace has no measure,
His power no boundary known unto men;
For out of His infinite riches in Jesus
He giveth, and giveth, and giveth again.

I think I will always love hymns, they are so beautiful. Catholic Theologian Peter Kreeft writes that 'In heaven, Protestants will teach the Catholics how to sing". The next thing I include, are quotes from St. Thomas Aquinas, who is one of the serious candidates for my patron saint, I've narrowed it down to either him, St. Augustine (as he is loved by all, and a genius), or a few others.

"Grant me, O Lord my God, a mind to know you, a heart to seek you, wisdom to find you, conduct pleasing to you, faithful perseverance in waiting for you, and a hope of finally embracing you."

"If, then, you are looking for the way by which you should go, take Christ, because He Himself is the way."

"To one who has faith, no explanation is necessary. To one without faith, no explanation is possible. "

No comments:

Post a Comment