Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Theology and Everyday Life

I was thinking the other day about something that puzzled me. I was arguing with an Athiestic Determinst Psychology major about why in his worldview he even bothered to get up in the morning. He kept saying 'we're just apes who think we're 'special'' - which was kind of funny- even though I didn't agree with him. He said that his worldview didn't actually have to correspond to the world he experiences because reason is the only thing that matters.

I think that was an interesting point. But I disagree with it. Ravi Zacharias says that one of the tests of a worldview is if it fits with all the data you are processing and inputting through it. That's when I feel I realized something. Calvinism to me is the strongest logical position, and that's why I believe it. Though it has little to no experiential value. I constantly struggle to accept God's grace and to live a godly life, it's not like I'm zapped with Grace and then I have no choice but to be good. I mean it logically makes sense, but it doesn't practically. Also I see non-Christians do 'good' things, and that means I'm either a Pelagian, or somehow God is using them without their knowledge, or maybe total depravity isn't correct.

I think that I think about theology way too much and should just get over it. So maybe I'm no better than the psych major, do I trust reason above my experience? probably. . . But then again empiricism sucks anyway... so maybe after all of this, it is better to trust reason... hmmm. Food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment